Ichalkaranji is known for textile activities. It is a major center in the decentralised sector producing gray and finished woven fabric. The local spinning mills in and around Ichalkaranji makes the desired cotton and blended yarns. Some quantities are also procured from the southern states and Mumbai. The use of imported yam is negligible. The fabric suitable for all types of apparels, domestic uses and some industrial fabrics are produced in Ichalkaranji. There are four Industrial Pockets in Ichalkaranji, viz.
- Ichalkaranji Industrial Cooperative Estate
- Laxmi Cooperative Industrial Estate
- Parvati Cooperative Industrial Estate
- Outskirts of Ichalkaranji
First of all, the garment is designed according to the sample supplied by the buyers. A counter sample is prepared and all the components and raw materials details are recorded. Then the costing part of the garment is done at this stage. And after finalizing the sample and the cost, raw material is procured and processed according to the requirements. Then according to design and size, patterns are prepared and the components are cut and stitched. The value-added work is done either before or after stitching operation as per the sample. The goods are checked, finished, re-checked and packed for forwarding to final destination. There are many items produced under the name of Readymade Garments and the process of manufacturing of each of those is too varied to be given in this report. However, the common process of manufacturing is given below:
Present Garment Units in Ichalkaranji and outskirts-
- 35 Garment units are operating
- Also 63 Garment units operating from the Cluster are developed by the various SHGs
- 80% units from the cluster are developed by the women Entrepreneurs.
- Investment – About 16 Crores
- Turnover – About – Rs.27 Crores (Labour job)
- Export – Rs. 5 Crores
- Direct Manpower involved – About 4000 to 4500 Nos.
Note:-Above mentioned figures are estimated values.